Is the Humble Ant a Friend or a Foe?
There are more than 12 000 different species of ants in the world. Did you know that an ant can lift 20 times its body weight? Certain queen ants are able to live very long (many years, in fact) and produce millions of baby ants! Ants can be as little as the dot on a page or almost a few centimetres in length.
But the big question here is – is the ant a friend or a foe?
Ants are excellent diggers, turning over and aerating the soil by tunnelling the ground so that water can penetrate the soil easily. Ants also assist in dispersing seeds of numerous plants, and in many instances, ants will dislodge insects that are harmful to flowers and plants as they search for nectar on the stems of plants and not on petals. Furthermore, they are predators and will eat slugs and caterpillars and other harmful garden pests. Ants in the home feed on the eggs of other insects that are problematic such as cockroaches, flies, fleas and bedbugs. Ants are also a food provision for certain birds, frogs, fish, other ant species and mammals.
Ants become problematic when they invade our homes and gardens when they seek shelter and food – this happens especially when there are drought conditions. In some instances, ants are invited into our homes without our knowledge and become a problem, especially when we leave food out and they come in search of these food sources. When the nests of ants become large, it is almost impossible to keep ants out of the home.
When ants start invading our environment, they become a real nuisance and extremely problematic. The only way to eliminate this problem is by making use of the services of a professional pest control company where they will be able to identify the source and unearth the nests.
Ant infestations are a huge problem and before we know it, they can get into almost every single item of food when they invade our homes. This is when it is necessary to call in the professionals to eradicate the problem for once and for all.
Even People without Pets are at Risk of Flea Infestations
Flea-borne infections are emerging and re-emerging right across the globe, with a rise in incidents. Their distribution and that of their vectors are rapidly on the rise.
Because fleas are tough to get rid of, it is advisable to call in pest control experts to identify the problem, where the infestation is worst and how to eradicate infestations altogether to protect your family and pets from any diseases they carry.
Fleas reproduce fast, particularly if you have pets. Even people who don’t have any pets are at risk of flea infestations as fleas can still make their appearance outside the home and in the garden.
Fleas breed in tall grass, shaded spots near decks and in woodpiles as well as in storage spaces. They are especially fond of wooden floorboards, carpets and bedding. Fleas love birds, too, and all types of birds are carriers of these nasty little creatures that are so hard to get rid of.
Did you know?
- Fleas can jump extremely high as they have super-long legs. The hind legs are adapted for jumping. They can jump 33 cm vertically and 18 cm horizontally. Relative to body size, the flea is the best jumper of all animals.
- Fleas transmit diseases when they consume blood from an infected host. They feed on all animals with hair, such as dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits and all other domestic and wild animals.
- Your pets need to be free of fleas for numerous reasons – not only can bites cause itchiness and blistering of the ears and other unpleasant reactions to the saliva of the fleas; in severe cases, fleas can even transmit tapeworm and other more serious diseases.
Although fleabites will usually go away even without treatment, once you have an infestation you will find it impossible to get rid of no matter how many times you vacuum, de-flea your pets, wash your linen and clean your home.
It is important to call in expert pest control experts once you have an infestation to get rid of the problem. Treat your pets throughout the spring and summer season to ensure they are not affected.
Drywood termites, as their name suggests, live mainly in dry wood. They can be in foundations, window and door frames in your home without being visible for ages. They feed on any piece of wood found around your home from furniture to skirting boards.
It is necessary to look for signs of termites in your home. If you know drywood termites are in the neighborhood it’s a good idea to make regular checks around your house or apartment to catch them as early as possible and prevent termite damage to your home.
Termites have the ability to wreak havoc
Termite Protection System
With Termites Monitoring, Termites will be turned away from your property every time
The NOVITHOR Pesticide Free Termite Protection System is a tested and approved termite protection system that creates an impenetrable barrier to prevent the ingress of subterranean termites.
The NOVITHOR System consists of three pesticide free elements which, in combination, ensure any construction type can be securely protected.
NOVITHOR TERMITE PROOFING RESIN
NOVITHOR TERMITE PROOF CEMENTITIOUS PARGE
NOVITHOR TERMITE PROOF FLEXI-GEL
The NOVITHOR Pesticide Free Termite Protection System can be used during the construction phase, as well as post construction. All three elements work by creating an impregnable barrier that termites cannot chew through or damage, and that is resistant to their secretions. In fact, NOVITHOR Termite Proofing Resin and NOVITHOR Termite Proof Cementitious Parge are granite-like when set.
The NOVITHOR System provides eco-friendly, cost effective and pesticide free protection from termites. Once applied, the NOVITHOR Pesticide Free Termite Protection System is not an eye sore on the completed structure; indeed the finished barrier is invisible to the naked eye.
Ensystex are able to confirm its presence through analytical methods to ensure Quality Control at installations.
Eradicate Pests by Using Professionals Pest Control Services
For a healthy and clean environment, choose professional pest control services, but arm yourself with plenty of background knowledge. Find out what types of pests are more prevalent during which season and what months they are most prolific. Furthermore, if you are worried about the birdlife in your environment as well as the pets in your home, choose pest control services that will eradicate the problem in a pesticide-free manner.
Doing a DIY job for pests is not always effective. Hiring professionals will always be the best way moving forward. This is particularly true if the pest infestations keep on coming back (think ants and roaches)!
Top tips for selecting a pest control service
- Identify the pest if possible and do a little research
- Word of mouth is always a good option, although selecting a company with a good track record which has been in business is always a good indication of a well-run pest control business
- Read comments and reviews from satisfied customers wherever possible – satisfied customers like to write positive comments about a good service
- The company will need to inspect the site. Ask them if this is included in the price
- Review and sum up the solutions to the problem
- Review the contract
- Only use certified professionals; this is especially useful if the infestation is repeated time and again
- Always ask for identification prior to allowing anyone into your home or office environment
- Always visit the company’s website before you decide; bear in mind that knowledge is power
- Jot down all the questions you need to ask to arm yourself with the right information
- Professionalism is key and first appearances count. If the pest control services exude a proficient appearance, the chances are their result will be excellent
- Cheapest is not always best. Rather select a business that will offer results and not necessarily the lowest price
- Your technician will be able to inform you whether you require ongoing services
- Select a company that offers guarantees – read the small print to find out exactly what this entails
Only ever hire professional pest control services with a long track record for guaranteed results.
Prevention is better than cure when it comes to bites and stings
Bites and stings seem to be unavoidable during South Africa’s hot summer months. There are definite ways on how to treat bugs during the festive season, but wherever possible, it is best to avoid these wherever you can.
The people who need the most protection from stings and bites are the elderly and young children as well as those that suffer from cardiovascular disease and those suffering from allergies. But bear in mind that most of the things that bite and sting do so in defence, so best to avoid these at all costs especially if you know where they are hiding.
The most dangerous and perhaps the most unlikely you might encounter falls into two groups – these are neurotoxic and cytotoxic.
The most common and notorious of the neurotoxic creatures is the Black Widow Spider. The poison is enough to kill a small child, so best to teach your children to respect all creatures and all times and to leave well alone. It is only the female of the species that bites hence the name Black Widow.
Other creatures that are neurotoxic are the brown widow, the Baboon Spider and Scorpions.
These attack the central nervous system and when bitten the victim will experience a burning sensation at the site of the bite, and expect these symptoms to follow suit:
- Cramping and muscular pain in the chest abdomen, back and abdomen as well as the thighs
- Swelling of the lymph glands
- The victim will soon start to perspire and have a rapid pulse rate
- Weakness in the legs and elevated blood pressure will also be experienced.
- Vomiting, nausea and salivation will also take place.
If you suspect you have an infestation of creepy crawlies this summer call in the professionals to fumigate any problematic areas. This is perhaps the best way of how to treat bugs during the festive season which occurs during the hot summer months in South Africa.
TACKLE PEST PROBLEMS THIS SUMMERDo something about the creepy crawlies this summer
Some creepy crawlies are unavoidable, especially during the hot summer months, but taking the necessary precautions can go a long way to avoiding bites and stings.
Cytotoxic creatures are more common than bites from neurotoxic creatures.
Two cytotoxic spiders to keep a look out for are the Sac Spider and the Violin Spider. The Sac Spider is commonly found in the home and makes a little silky pocket in the fold of bed frills and curtains.
The Violin Spider is often found in piles of wood, behind pictures, in garages, in cellars and under rocks, and even when clothes are left lying on the floor. They have a habit of finding a home in blankets and duvets that have been stored away.
Both are nocturnal creatures and bite their victims when they are fast asleep, rolling over onto them. Be alert and avoid them if you can as they are usually quite shy.
The symptoms from Cytotoxic creatures usually include:
- Swelling and pain where the bite took place
- Perspiring and stiff muscles as well as a fever
- Blistering at the site of the bite
- Lesion at the site of the bite – this is from the Sac Spider
- A nasty wound as a result of breaking down of the body tissue
Seeking medical attention is important especially if the patient shows any of the above symptoms.
Other creatures to avoid during the summer months are ticks, mosquitoes, wasps and bees.
The best method and tips on how to prevent creepy crawlies in summer – apply common sense and ensure you don’t leave clothes lying around on the floor; wash your curtains regularly and clean out your cupboards to avoid infestations. If you are concerned about creepy crawlies it is best to call on the experts for professional advice.
It is imperative to keep your living and working space rodent-free for a variety of reasons. Not only do rats bring disease but they can cause havoc all round in offices, homes, factories, shops and restaurants, to name a few examples of where they breed and live.
The best way to tackle your rodent control is by finding a rodent control specialist near you, instead of trying to eradicate this problem on your own.
Therefore, when it comes to rat infestations we are dealing with a problem that is far more than just annoying.
Did you know that rats can eat as much as ten to 15% of their body weight every day in food? Additionally, rats need to feed between 15 and 25 times every day.
Rats are able to live to the age of two – brown rats will eat absolutely anything, often leaving their food strewn on surfaces and urinating on the food to mark their territory! Not a very appetising thought, whereas black rats, on the other hand, are a little fussier and choose what they will and will not eat.
Rats chew electricals and increase the risk of electrical challenges and fires, costing thousands.
Because rats have a nasty habit of defecating and urinating numerous times every day, this could cause disease and attract other rodents.
Even though rats are less fussy when it comes to what they eat, they can still cause untold problems and can ruin the eaves of roofs.
Rats can damage both the inside and the outside of roofing. Because black rats prefer chewing on roof leaves, these often create holes that permit other rodents and even rain to get inside your home.
Hungry rats that don’t live inside will venture outside and start eating vegetation, resulting in ruined gardens.
Find a rodent control specialist near you to get to the root of the problem and eradicate it entirely.
Peace of mind is what we all strive towards, particularly when it comes to keeping the bugs at bay in our place of work, play and where we sleep and eat.
It is never a pleasant thought that a four, six or eight-legged creature will make its presence known at the most unexpected of times – such as a cockroach appearing when you are having a meal. Nothing could be more off-putting.
Purge your environment by using pest control specialists near you to rid yourself of the problem forever.
Bugs of every description, rodents and more carry disease, cause havoc and are unpleasant to have around in any shape or form.
Using a can of Doom or putting down rat pellets might seem like the right thing to do – but the pressing question here is – will it work and for how long. Something else you will need to consider is whether you have children, pets and birds, and the safety of using home methods to eradicate your environment of creepy crawlies.
Are you tired of waking up in the morning, only to find that your entire kitchen is covered in ants? These pesky little creatures can make your life a misery once they make nests and take over your entire home or office; they are resilient and extremely difficult to get rid of. This is definitely a job for the experts.
Find a pest control specialist near you to ensure you are able to keep both little and big creatures at bay. We live in Africa where it is either hot or dry or wet – the ideal breeding ground for all types of creatures.
Although it is important to respect nature, there are limits when it comes to our health and that of our families.
A can of insecticide simply won’t get to the root of the problem where infestations could become extremely problematic, especially if you are in the food and hospitality industry.
Here are six real reasons why the expertise of a pest control company is necessary:
- Rodents and pests carry multitude diseases and can easily infest even the cleanest of kitchens, causing harm to pets and humans.
- Getting rid of pests will ensure safe and clean environments – rodents can leave faeces on or near food, and other vermin and pests can carry a wide range of bacteria and viruses, infecting food and contaminating the surfaces that they come into contact with, which is a massive problem and can cause health issues.
- The sighting of pests in restaurants and eateries are off-putting and can result in complaints as well as loss of business.
- Some pests are the direct cause of or aggravation of existing medical conditions such as asthma and other lung-related health challenges.
- Did you know that rats and mice are often responsible for extensive damage to property? Let a professional pest control company assist with eliminating this problem.
- Rodents carry the Hantavirus as well as Tularaemia, Salmonella and even Bubonic Plague!! Because they gather fleas and other microscopic organisms, these can prove to be extremely harmful to one’s health.
Whether you have a wasp, bee, mouse, cockroach, ant, spider, bat or other infestations, we are well-versed in getting right to the root of the problem.
Bear in mind that controlling bugs and pests is essential to keep your family safe and sound at all times. In a hot climate it takes only one or two pests to start an entire colony and before you know it, you, your office, premises or garden will be subjected to an invasion of unwanted visitors.