Landlords understand the need to clean thoroughly and taking stock of their premises between tenants. This is especially important as a high standard of hygiene is necessary, particularly if you run a B n B establishment, rent out residential properties, or are a commercial landlord renting office space. Clean Thoroughly Between Tenants for Peace of Mind and with facing the possibility of the COVID-19 virus being present on many surfaces and high-touch spots, disinfecting and sanitising the air and every nook and cranny and all those hard-to-reach spots are vital for the safety of all concerned.
Cutting corners is not a good idea and in the long run, you could find that you were pound foolish. Make a list of the areas that need to be cleaned between each tenant and keep it handy every time tenancy changes.
A Basic Checklist Will Look Like This
- Inspect the property and take pictures of anything that needs to be fixed or sorted out. Attend the move-out inspection in person as this is an important part of the rental process. This is the one time that your tenants could argue the finer details and you could end up with a “he said she said” situation. By being there in person will avoid any disputes later. This is especially useful regarding what the responsibility of the tenant is and that of the landlord
- Return all sets of keys including remotes and spare keys
- Nothing tells a tale as well as a photograph – especially if you clean thoroughly; before and after pictures will hold up in court so ensure you have these for absolute proof which will be handy when clearing up any grey areas. It is easy to simply take the before and after pics with your smartphone It is imperative to have a spotlessly clean thoroughly between tenants for peace of mind in your unit or office for your new tenants to move into. Call in the experts to deep clean every corner of the office or unit. When deep cleaning takes place any issues that have been overlooked during the inspection will also be addressed. Make a checklist of all cleaning materials and appliances and keep this for future reference. Remember to clean the ceiling and light fittings and any carpets and other soft furnishings
- Call in the experts such as Mostert Pest Control Specialists to do a virus and bacteria disinfection so that all those hard to reach corners and all the surfaces, as well as the air, are cleaned thoroughly with pesticide-free products to ensure the safety of everyone
- You must check the utility bills to so that these are up to date. Close them off where necessary. It is a smart idea to add a move–out and close off clause onto the lease of a new tenant. This will make leasing the property less problematic when it comes to switching on water and lights at the beginning of a new tenant’s term. It might be a smart idea to simply add the utilities into the account upfront to avoid any issues with these bills and will mean you will be in control, too
- Once everything has been cleaned it is wise to go back and do it all over again. Re-clean all the important areas. Bathrooms and the kitchen as well as any high-traffic areas such as boardrooms and dining areas. Bear in mind that the first thing that tenants look at is the cleanliness of the environment. Little things such as grubby taps or basins can make or break a deal. Throw away or replace anything that has seen better days
- A brand spanking new coat of fresh paint shouts fresh and clean. It will cost little to dab on a new coat of paint and will make the entire unit or office look bright and clean. Repaint and patch holes and ugly marks on an annual basis to ensure the unit always looks bright and fresh
- Repair all leaks and plumbing issues – get your plumber in to carry out an inspection as leakages could cause untold damage when undetected in a short space of time
- If you have carpets covering the floors, these need to be deep cleaned. Otherwise they need to be replaced which will make a world of difference to any space. Replacing carpets is often the best way moving forward and it is a great way to control any pests
- Keep the gardens are in great condition. Call in a garden services company to assist in mowing and to keep the flower beds in check. Trim trees and bushes away from the windows to let in as much natural light as possible. Remember that curb appeal often seals the deal
The landlord must disinfect all properties between tenants. This ensures the safety of all concerned, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Get as much outside help as possible to make the task easier. Mostert Pest Control Specialists will ensure your unit is free of germs and viruses and will ensure that any pests are eradicated and controlled.