The festive season brings fun and joy for all even the spiders. With rain and the summer sun, spiders are coming out of their hiding spots and invading our homes. Have you had a screaming encounter with one of these creepy crawlies yet? You can make sure your home is spider free today to keep Christmas festive and scare-free.
Interesting Facts About Spiders
- All spiders produce silk, but not all spiders spin webs! There are more than 45,500 spider species, and they all spin silk.
- One spider species is mostly vegetarian! It is called the Bagheera Kiplingi and it inhabits trees that produce protein-rich buds on their leaves. These buds are part of a symbiotic relationship between trees and ants but the Baheera Kiplingi also benefit from consuming them.
- Spiders are near-sighted! Spiders typically have the main set of eyes that can create images while the secondary sets can only detect light and shadow. An exception would be the genus Maratus found in Australia. These tiny jumping spiders have eyes that can see more colours than humans’ eyes!
- Female spiders can lay up to 3000 eggs at one time. Yikes! Call in pest control experts to destroy spider nests in your home before an infestation can occur.
- Jumping spiders can jump up to 50 times their oÿn length
If you think you have a spider infestation in your home contact Mostert Pest Control to recommend steps for spider removal or treatment. Some species are poisonous to humans and should be handled by a professional.