Have a Pest-Free Holiday This Summer
While you may enjoy sharing the holiday season with family and friends, sharing it with insect infestations can ruin your fun. To avoid bringing pests home with you, be sure to check your luggage and clothes carefully when returning home.
Here are some common pests to look out for at your holiday destination:
Bed bugs are small, biting insects that can hide in soft furnishings, such as mattresses, bed bases, couches, curtains, and chairs. These common household pests are nocturnal creatures that come out to feed on hosts at night and are not choosy about their living conditions, so you can find them in clean environments as well as dirty ones.
To prevent bringing these unwanted pests home with you, inspect your accommodation for these pests when you arrive. Look for blood stains or discarded skins on the mattress, bed base, and sheets, as well as in cracks and crevices in the floor and walls. Use a flashlight to get a closer look. Keep your luggage off the floor and store it away from walls if a luggage rack is not provided.
If you do find bed bugs, you may need to request alternative accommodation until they sort out the pest issue. Remove your luggage, clothing, and family from the infested room until the pests are under control. When you return home, wash all your clothes in hot water and tumble dry them on the highest setting for at least 30 minutes to kill any remaining bed bugs or eggs.
Cockroaches are commonly found at the seaside, where the warm weather and access to water make for ideal breeding conditions. In South Africa, we have German cockroaches, American Cockroaches, and the common brown cockroach that can all cause disease outbreaks.
To prevent infestations, remove all water sources and pet food, store food in the refrigerator in sealed containers, and keep cardboard boxes away from your holiday accommodation. Use insecticide sprays and bait to kill any cockroaches that may have found their way inside.
Mosquitoes can be a nuisance at any holiday destination, but they can also transmit diseases such as malaria and Zika virus. To protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites, use insect repellent, wear long sleeves and pants, and sleep under a mosquito net.
Avoid standing water, as this is where mosquitoes breed. They can also breed in the branches of trees and anywhere water gathers. Since they cause a wide range of problems, protection against these pests is very important.
Preventing Pest Infestations at Your Holiday Accommodation
To prevent pests from ruining your holiday, there are several steps you can take:
- Store all food in airtight glass containers to keep pests away.
- Keep your accommodation clean and tidy to discourage pests from making a home there.
- Remove any stagnant water sources, such as puddles on verandas or in flowerpots, to prevent breeding grounds for pests.
- Use insecticide sprays and bait to kill any cockroaches that may have found their way inside your accommodation.
- Contact expert pest controllers such as Mostert Pest Control Service to get rid of all common types of pests, from bed bug infestations to ants, cockroaches, and more.
Other Pests to Watch Out For
In addition to bed bugs, cockroaches, and mosquitoes, there are other pests that may be found in holiday accommodation in South Africa:
- Ants: Ants can be attracted to sweet or greasy substances, so be sure to store food in airtight containers and clean up any spills or crumbs.
- Rats and mice: These pests can carry diseases and may be attracted to food sources, so be sure to store food in secure containers and keep your accommodation clean and tidy.
- Fleas: Fleas are often brought into holiday accommodation by pets and can be difficult to get rid of once they have infested a space. To prevent fleas, keep your pets treated with flea prevention medication and regularly groom and bathe them.
Enjoy a Pest-Free Holiday with Mostert Pest Control
By following these tips and being vigilant about checking for pests, you can enjoy a pest-free holiday in South Africa. Remember to also protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites by using insect repellent, wearing long sleeves and pants, and sleeping under a mosquito net.
Avoid standing water, as this is where mosquitoes breed. If you do find pests at your holiday accommodation, insist that the property owner moves you to alternative accommodation until the problem is resolved. They can hire a professional pest control company to sort out the problem fast.
Mostert Pest Control services have a footprint throughout South Africa. We have professional teams trained to take on all pest problems. Don’t let nasty pests ruin your summer fun this year. Call us the minute there are signs of pests to nip the problem in the bud. We are here to tackle all bug issues, both large and small.