As restaurants start opening their doors for business, mice, rats, cockroaches, birds, and other creatures have probably set up home in the empty spaces. The main reason being that there has been no human traffic to interrupt breeding cycles. Before you decide to open your doors some strict rules and protocols that need to be adhered to which we all need to follow as well.
Life Goes on Regardless and The Food Supply Chain Needs to Be Running
Numerous pests such as flies, cockroaches, stored product insects, fleas, ticks, birds, and other pests are a health hazard and a threat to businesses that sell food products.
Numerous other industries that are involved in the preparation of foods other than restaurants. These include schools and school hostels, hospitals, hotels, food manufacturing plants, food processing factories, office canteens and homes.
Pests are opportunistic at the best of times and what better opportunity to invade food stores and other food-related areas when there are no disturbances?
When the Cat’s Away the Mice Come Out to Play – Literally
- When premises are left alone for a period and there are no disturbances, mice, and rats and other pests seek shelter and breed as there is no foot traffic and nothing to disturb them
- Pests carry disease and can damage structures of buildings to build their nests and forage for food. Rodents gnaw through electrical systems and shred anything they can find to build their nests. The droppings can also contaminate areas. You must call in a professional team of pest control experts to tackle the problem
- Rodents and other pests can also produce prolifically especially if there is food left behind. Food could be left behind by workers vacating office buildings in haste. Many schools, hostels, hotels, and restaurants were closed in a hurry to get everything done before the strict lockdown we were subjected to in March
- Additionally, drips from faucets and water pooling on floors attract insects and vermin in search of water. Call a plumber in before opening your doors to the public to check that all the plumbing is still in a good condition and that there are no issues especially if faucets and pipes were left to stand for a couple of months. Furthermore, regular maintenance of roofs and other weak spots need attention. Ensure all these are in good condition before opening your doors to the public
- It is important that food is stored properly, and that bins are emptied and sanitised before more losses are incurred
- The next step is to call in expert pest control professionals such as Mostert Pest Control specialists to put a plan of action in place for the short and the long-term
How to Minimise Risk to Patrons and Staff
Pests can pose a problem for the health of staff and customers. They carry nasty diseases plus the presence of rats, mice and cockroaches are not a pleasant experience which can cause unnecessary anxiety.
Viruses and germs also pose a risk. There are strict measures in place for restaurant and food business owners that need to be adhered to.
Call on expert pest control specialists to assist with virus and bacteria disinfection for any hard-to-reach spaces to ensure all surfaces and crevices are kept free from anything that could cause harm. This will reduce the chance of viruses being spread from one individual to the next. We cannot take any risks during the COVID19 pandemic.
Food outlets, restaurants, and all food businesses are at a greater risk now more than ever before. It is prudent to go the extra mile to ensure every measure has been applied to keep your restaurant’s high cleanliness standards – something you can be proud of.
Each restaurant is responsible for keeping their environment clean and pest-free. Each industry has specific pest and germ risks which could impact on the health of all and cause damage both in reputation and fiscally. Ensure you keep all issues in check to avoid this impacting negatively on your business. Call on experts to ensure that you are pest, virus, bacteria, and Fungi free.