With over 3 000 different species of roaches, vigilance is key to ensuring these are kept away from your property. Many cockroaches cause problems but many are beneficial to the natural world, too, and play a vital role in nature.
There are three main kinds of roaches commonly found in buildings and homes throughout South Africa. These include the Oriental cockroach, the American cockroach and the German cockroach.
Discovering an infestation calls for instantaneous action by calling on the expertise of pest control experts in South Africa. Mostert Pest Control Specialist will tackle your cockroach problem immediately and effectively, with outstanding results.
Cockroaches eat anything from paper to packaging, food to fabrics and animal droppings, and most commonly are drawn to food. But what are the signs that you have cockroaches?
How Do You Know You Have Roaches?
Cockroaches are nocturnal creatures which are difficult to detect as they usually hide away during the day. In most instances, it is easier to detect signs of their presence and not the actual creatures.
- Cockroaches leave droppings which look like fine black dust and is minuscule
- Cockroaches leave smear marks behind on horizontal surfaces or where floors and walls meet – this is where they are most active. If there is water around, roaches produce brown, erratic smear marks near water
- Cockroaches cause damage to all types of packaging and will destroy leather and books
- Cockroaches shed their skin – mature roaches shed their nymphal skins between 5 to 8 times as they grow to adulthood
- Cockroaches leave a strange smell where infestations take place
The moment you find any signs of cockroach infestations, it is advisable to call our professional pest control team of experts at Mostert Pest Control. We will inspect the area and advise you on how best to tackle this problem.
Once cockroaches start nesting it is extremely difficult to eradicate these pests. Home remedies to get rid of these creatures are usually ineffective. Pest control specialists, such as Mostert Pest Control is perhaps your best option to ensure roaches are eradicated.
The last thing you would like to find in your home, office, retail outlet, restaurant, school, factory, hospital or any other place is a nest of these very nasty creatures. Cockroaches carry diseases and are responsible for allergic reactions as well as contaminating any foodstuffs they have access to.
Cockroaches Are Extremely Hard to Get Rid Of – Here’s Why
Cockroaches Are Practically Indestructible
- Cockroaches are extremely strong and almost indestructible. They can withstand up to 900 times their own bodyweight! Squashing a cockroach is extremely difficult and they can flatten their bodies to squeeze into the smallest and tightest nooks and crannies which makes it easy for them to escape
- Cockroaches can live without a head for almost a week which is quite remarkable. Because roaches breathe through microscopic holes on their bodies, and can survive in this manner; their heads are therefore not necessary for them to breathe. It takes about a week for a cockroach to live without ahead, but it will eventually die from dehydration and lack of food
- Cockroaches can survive without food for a month
Male Roaches Are Not Necessary for Reproduction
- Cockroaches are prolific breeders, reproducing young fast and furiously. Male roaches are available for reproduction purposes most of the time, but if they are no available to assist females are quite adept at reproducing young without their help
- This process is done asexually and is referred to as parthenogenesis
- This ensures females reproduce at an alarming rate
Cockroaches Can Move at Unbelievable Speeds
- Cockroaches can move at unbelievable speeds; they can move up to 4.8 kms per hour. Small wonder they are incredibly hard to catch
- Roaches are sensitive to vibrations on the ground and as a result they can detect if you are approaching from a distance
Once your cockroach problem has been dealt with, it is advisable to eliminate food sources that attract them to your premises, ensure there are no pools of water lying inside or outside your property, remove all pet food that might attract pests and keep your environment free of clutter.