1. The Kitchen
The sink provides a water source that ants need to survive and a means for them to access food. Not immediately cleaning up crumbs and spills may be inviting ants in. Apply these tips to keep ants out of your kitchen ( where do ants hide):
- Store sweet staples like sugar, syrup, and honey in plastic containers that snap shut, and wipe them down to remove any sticky residue.
- Place a bay leaf inside canisters of dry goods like flour to keep the ants out. The herb’s pungent scent repels ants and other common pantry pests.
- Clean up grease spills from countertops and floors as soon as they happen.
- Take the trash out regularly.
- Check the fruit bowl; any overripe fruit will attract ants.
- Keep an eye out for water build-up in the sink and leaks around the faucet.
- If you have pets, pick up any leftover food and wash the bowls regularly.
2. The Bathroom
Areas around the house with excess moisture are known to attract ants, so bathrooms are highly susceptible to an infestation. To prevent an infestation in the bathroom, homeowners should take the following steps:
- Occasionally inspect sinks, toilets, and tubs for any leaks or drips to find out where do ants hide.
- Give the bathroom a thorough cleaning by scrubbing the floors with disinfectant cleaner and wiping down the inside of drawers with warm, soapy water.
- Check that shampoo, lotion and soap bottles are secured and that their contents have not spilled out of their containers.
3. Building Exterior
To keep ants from finding a way inside, homeowners should pest-proof the outside of the home. By going around the physical structure of the home and pest-proofing, you will limit access points. You can carry out such pest-proofing by:
- Sealing any cracks with silicone caulk
- Repairing holes in window and door screens
- Fixing loose mortar around the foundation and windows
- Keeping tree branches trimmed back and away from the house
Ants are considered one of the most difficult pests to control , where do ants hide, well, because colonies often contain many thousands of members. If you notice ants inside your home, please contact Mostert Pest Control Services for Ant extermination services.